Re: [TowerTalk] Earth Ground: How good is good enough

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Earth Ground: How good is good enough
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 15:43:08 -0700
On 9/9/21 2:51 PM, Artek Manuals wrote:
Jim et all

One of my heroes of the late 20th century was Ed Demming a noted statistician ( with a degree in EE of all things) who changed the way the world (most notably the US and Japan in the 70's and 80's) looked at and tried to use statistics to solve mass production quality problems through design of experiments techniques. . One of Ed's famous sayings was "If you cant say it with numbers..you don't understand the problem".

So I will say it AGAIN. What I want to do is measure the ground resistance of a multi ground rod system in VERY POOR soils in my case. WHY I want to know this number or what I intend to use it for IS NOT relevant to the discussion at this point. Please don't get your cart before my horse.

One thing just occurred to me.. With cheap handheld VNAs, you could probably come up with a way to "survey" the soil properties over a large area. Crossed dipoles or loops might be the way to go. It's sort of like ground penetrating radar.