[TowerTalk] Concrete

To: undefined <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 13:11:00 -0400 (EDT)
" On 8/26/2019 3:23 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
>> Except when the permit requires a slump test and tensile testing of a
>> cured sample which it did when my towers went up.?? Total regulatory
>> overkill for a crank up base that specified 2500psi concrete.
>>
>> Grant

Yes, but...
When you hire an engineer to write spec's, and pay him/her to be onsite, they
have an obligation to see that the project is built to the spec.
Concrete companies are notorious for sending out bad stuff. Not all and not
always, of course, but every significant construction project requires quality
control of concrete.
Slump is a quick field test, but there is often strength testing of cured
cylinders too.  Not my field, but I expect there are other tests that can be
done on the mix, like sand/stone/cement proportions.
Look at the building collapses in the third world to see the consequence of bad
design/materials/execution.
Catching the careless/sloppy/crooked operators is a real public service.
Be glad for a diligent engineer!
WL