[TowerTalk] HDX 555 Motor Drive BEaring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HDX 555 Motor Drive BEaring
From: Phil Snyder <n9lah@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 16:08:18 -0500
Hi All

Went out this morning to crank up the tower to see if I could hear any of the EU on 6 meters. as soon as it started up I heard a couple cracking noises. I stopped and tweaked it up and down a little and discovered that the flange bearing on the back side of the multi wrap sheave failed.

Anyone with experience replacing this? I was able to retract the tower to a point that I can block both sections to the base. My thoughts are to release the tension from the positive pull down end of the cable, loosen and support the drive assembly so I can swing it out of the way to get the bearing out. I am assuming I will need to take it to one of the local bearing shops, unless some one knows what bearing to replace it with. I know lots of stuff changed over the years at UST and I purchased this used so don't know the age.

Thanks

Phil

N9LAH

Phil N9LAH
Do you qualify for the WUST Award?
Verify QSO's with 13, 14 or 15 of the US Territories to qualify.
Visit http://www.metrodxclub/wust_award.htm  for more info.