Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 10:36:40 -0700
The ball bearings in the rotator should have an oil film between them and the races. That oil film will break down with a few to several dozen volts of potential and the discharge will make noise,  and also pit the bearing and race.  Normal static from wind might make enough potential difference.    Maybe also make PIM if the film is really thin.

If the oil film isn't replenished with regular rotation then fretting corrosion can also damage the balls and bearings.  So this poor contact made of corrosion products might make also make PIM.

Another source of voltage differential is corona discharge from the top antenna, described by W8JI on his website as what is often called p-static.

So small voltages and currents over time cause a couple of problems.  Maybe a welding cable around the rotator might help protect the rotator in a lightning strike but who knows. Otherwise, I think most any modest gauge sufficiently flexible wire has the capacity to protect rotator and top bearings and reduce noise.  A lug on each end of the wire to a convenient bolt would also work IMO.

Discharge noise and resulting bearing damage are historical problems in disk drives and inverter driven AC motors.

Grant KZ1W