Re: [TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?

To: "Hector Garcia,XE2K" <j_hector_garcia@sbcglobal.net>, Paul Staupe <staupe@gmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 20:23:51 -0700
I used 7/16 DIN on all on my heliax (LDF4 & 5) runs and think they are the best choice, particularly for 7/8 cable which can put a lot of mechanical stress on a connector. There is a huge difference in the center pin structure in favor of DINs, plus low loss and super QRO power handling. My jumpers are Buryflex or LMR400 to DIN one end, N or PL the other, depending on flex and WX exposure and antenna connector. The only connector problems so far have been with poorly installed Ns. AVA with the very thin shield copper is much harder than LDF5 to get the shell on properly. The AVA prep tool is pricey but very helpful and is different than the LDF5 tool. Then use the Andrew waterproofing kits, another very proven technique to borrow from the cell industry, and a bargain at about $10 for a 2 or 3 connector splice kit.

The Chinese DINs that I found on ebay seem ok, no problems so far. Find those with gold plated pins. There are also a lot cheap Andrew LDF5 NOS connectors if you have a stash of it.

Grant KZ1W