Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain HyTower Questions

To: <n5xz@earthlink.net>, <kc4pe@mindspring.com>, <k3lr@k3lr.com>, <dan-schaaf@att.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain HyTower Questions
From: Tim Kass <timkass@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 23:31:41 -0400
Hey all, guess I will throw in my experience with the HyTower for whatever its
worth.  I got my Hytower off an old elmer but live in a city lot in Cincinnati,
Oh.  Verticals never seemed to do well for me in this area, maybe the poor
ground is the biggest issue, anyway, I tried several 1/8 wave ground radials
for each band but still did not work as good as a good all dipole for up to
around 700 miles, also it was noisy.  The best thing I did was to feed it as a
vertical dipole...the stinger (which is isolated from the top of the tower) has
a wire running down the middle of the tower section to the base where it is
normally fed.  I cut that wire and fed the stinger at that point with one side
of 450 ohm ladder line and the tower section with the other side...ran the
ladder line down about 10 feet, spaced about 2 feet away from the tower then it
jumps to the top of a shed....anyway, it worked best as that configuration in
transmit and receive...of course you need a tuner as well...but found it worked
on all bands pretty well...also tried elevate radials before that...this still
was better...tuned 80 - 10 meters, no stubs.

73, Tim K8WBL