Re: Topband: remotes

To: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: remotes
From: Wes Stewart via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:13:18 +0000 (UTC)
 I guess I'm the only topband guy that hasn't commented on this yet, so here
goes.
I've been doing this DX thing for over 65 years now.  Other than WAS on
2-meters (never accomplished)  DXCC has been my sole focus; no zones, islands,
counties, etc.  The holy grail, Top of the Honor Roll, has still eluded me.  I
missed my one opportunity for FR/G due to life's obligations and I doubt I'll
see another one in this lifetime.  I could have done what some fellow Honor
Roll members have done and had a friend work them for me, but I'm a believer in
"honor" part.

Topband is a relatively recent pursuit.  Looking for a challenge I decided to
add another band to my DXCC collection.  I worked my first 80 countries or so
with an inverted-Vee dipole, 15-meters high at the apex.  When no more were
forthcoming, I built an Inverted-L and worked 60 more.
https://www.qrz.com/db/n7ws ; describes my working conditions.
I don't care how others pursue their goals, if RHR floats their boat, so be it,
but I do think the score keeping should be honest.  Sadly, I don't believe it
is. I would say that is a sign of the times, but experience shows that it is
nothing new.
Wes  N7WS

    On Tuesday, February 6, 2024 at 08:40:46 AM MST, VE6WZ_Steve
<ve6wz@shaw.ca> wrote:

 > I wonder, is it also possible to compete with yourself in boxing? :-(((((

Baaa-haaaa-haaaa…..ok, I give Nick UY0ZG a knockout for that comment!

Very well said Nick.

And indeed reading the posts on this thread, it seems what most guys are doing,
including myself, is choosing not to enter the ring at all anymore.
The “boxing ring” I refer to is the “official ARRL DXCC” ring.
Sure, my logging program keeps track my own results, but the ARRL DXCC results
have become meaningless to me. (Not necessarily YOU who are reading this….you
don’t need to agree with me)

Steve, ve6wz