Topband: Timor Leste post cqww report

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Timor Leste post cqww report
From: Dietmar Kasper <dl3dxx@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:05:37 +0100
After CQWW we dismantle the station but we are still QRV on topband maybe also
on other bands
We still have a close thunderstorm so RX is again very bad, cant copy signals
weaker as S5 strength

Got message about ARRL rules for DXCC and other awards. I myself do not operate
FT modes
so maybe one who uses it can tell me how to handle it.

>ARRL does not count fully automated robot QSOs for DXCC credit.
>https://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-contest-and-dxcc-rules-now-prohibit-automated-contacts

Please clarification, what does it mean ?

ARRL writes:
A resolution at the July ARRL Board of Directors meeting pointed to “growing
concern over fully automated contacts being made and claimed” for contest and
DXCC credit. The rules now require that each claimed contact include
contemporaneous direct initiation by the operator on both sides of the contact.
Initiation of a contact may be either local or remote.

both sides of the contact ?
I understand that the applicant must be present at the radio to initiate and
log the contact. What about the other side (DXpedition ?)
Does initiating a contact means "I switch on radio and computer, start MSHV
software and let it running automatically logging contacts hour after hour
attended by human watching the traffic or even unattended if operator observes
several bands in parallel or go to dinner, have a beer or even go sleep ?
DXpedition is not requesting a DXCC so is that operation OK ?

If both sides must initiate and log the contact manually then my conclusion is
that most of the big DXpeditions using MSHV would do wrong ? I wonder that
nobody asked this question before.

still confused ...
73 Dietmar