Re: Topband: CQWW160: Night 2

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQWW160: Night 2
From: W3HKK@roadrunner.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:25:02 +0000
Not so many Euros into Ohio in the same 2200-0200z time frame. But as
the evening wore one , a few more were heard, but still tough sledding
to work them. Many QRZ's and my partial call heard but then they
reverted to CQing giving up on trying to pull me through.

Now this year for the second straight year I failed to get my 26
radials unfurled, and had to run the 52' vertical- 0.25 wave 160m
INV-L against a single ground rod. But it works quite well, even so.
Often into Eu and sometimes VK/JA. But I have to think those radials
do something, so my low angle radiation must be suffering at least a
tiny bit. But domestically it doesnt seem to matter much in the usual
contests. (Memo to me: put out the radials next November!)

This morning I slid into the CQ Contest mode and got the QSOs up to
425 in 10 hours OTA, worked all states but AK and ND. And finished
with 25 DX entities. But in general sigs werent strong enough to work
enough of the delicious Euro multipliers to approach an alltime best
score ( like a couple years back with great Euro openings!)

However, the band was free of powerline noise, had no QRN, so
listening was easier on the ears.

One humorous event. I was on a good run when the keyclicks from
filtering out a strong adjacent channel signal got to be annoying, so
I slid up a hundred cycles or so and it disappeared. But a couple of
qsos later it was back. So I slid up another 100 cycles and it went
away. for a couple of qsos. After the third QSY I gave up, figuring
the guy was doing the same thing. :)