Re: Topband: How good is good enough

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How good is good enough
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 12:40:08 -0500
Just cut 20 more 70' radials.  Time to go play in the yard.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<https://reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 11/12/2022 11:41 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
The 34 ohms is the sum of Rr (antenna radiation Z over perfect ground) and Rg (ground R loss).  Rr depends on the dimensions of the L plus a bit of wire loss.  My guess is Rr is about 10 ohms less than 34 ohms, some easy modeling will determine it.

Then it is a question of what antenna efficiency you want vs cost and time for more radials.  If 10 ohms is Rg, then about 1/3 of the TX power is warming the worms.

Grant KZ1W