Re: Topband: Beverage upgrade question

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage upgrade question
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 13:58:45 -0500
Kenny,

You have gotten some good commments already, but I'll add my two cents.

It's not always RDF that matters -- it's the shape and direction of the
pattern. Remember that a pair in echelon will push the main lobe to one side,
and have improved front-to-side rejection on the side with the rearward
element. The amount depends on spacing. The best front-to-side should be in the
more southerly direction, where more storms occur.

Here in WI, I had an echelon pair (550 ft each) to Europe, with 70 ft offset
and 50 ft separation. I could select them singly or as a pair. A/B comparison
demonstrated substantial improvement in both F/B and rejection to the south and
SE, which was especially useful for reducing QRM in pileups and contests.

73, Gary
K9AY