Re: Topband: F connector how-to video

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: F connector how-to video
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 16:17:15 -0800
On 2/4/2022 3:32 PM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
I know many will disagree but I wish the ham industry had never gone
to RG6 and F plugs and jacks for filters, preamps and various rx
antennas etc.  I know that UHF/BNC/N take up more space and cost more
but the feedline and connector series that works for broadcast TV,
cable and broadcast FM reception doesn't always have the benefits hams
need, in my semi-humble opinion.

I've used F connectors since the '70s, when I had a gig installing CATV systems in Chicago high rises (including Sears Tower). The ones we had in those days were super-primative by today's standards. F-connectors and CATV coax are just fine for most of our RX applications -- IF we don't cheap out on connectors, coax, and tools, do match the connectors to the cable types, and if, as Steve has noted, learn how to do the terminations.

73, Jim K9YC