Re: Topband: F connector how-to video

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: F connector how-to video
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 15:32:08 -0800
On 2/4/2022 2:03 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
Before falling in love with a cable, it is worthwhile to check its impedance accuracy vs frequency and its low frequency loss and the consistency of its velocity factor.

For at least 20 years, I've been using nothing but double- or quad-shield Commscope RG6, and for about ten years, the flooded stuff that DX Engineering sells. Among other things, it's a joy to pull through the woods (and would also be in conduit), and the critters seem to not like the goo. I've measured most of the coax I've bought, and find it to be very good quality. From ZPlots, at VHF, Zo = 75.5 ohms, VF = 0.8414. At 2 MHz, 0.458 dB/100 ft, Zo is 77.9 ohms, VF = 0.834.

73, Jim K9YC