Re: Topband: Radials on ground v FCP

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials on ground v FCP
From: CUTTER DAVID via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 12:51:28 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Rob

I see copper prices have doubled in the last year.

My intention is to compare and contrast the cost and performance of short
verticals over a large field of ground radials v the very modest amount of wire
required for the FCP.  In Guy's article

https://k2av.com/Olinger_NCJ_article_on_FCP.pdf

he says "The reason for the FCP is twofold: minimal space and a low-loss
alternative to radials."  I would add that it is also lower cost, to your
point.

I interpret his analysis as saying that the layout of the FCP minimises its own
ground loss so well that only the radiator's ground loss is left to compare to
the "gold standard" of 120 ground radials.

I hope someone will jump in and correct me if I've misinterpreted that.  If
not, would it be correct to say that the FCP method of loss reduction differs
only by 1.7 dB (from Guy's article) compared to the "gold standard" of 120
ground radials?

I don't have that Griffith book, so, would you summarise the difference between
120 ground radials and the fewer radials proposed when using <1/4 w vertical?
I'd like to get a feel for how it compares to the FCP method.

73 David G3UNA