Re: Topband: Materials for Beverages?

To: Drew Vonada-Smith <drew@whisperingwoods.org>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Materials for Beverages?
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 17:50:46 +0000
Drew,
   A simple search for "humming bird deaths due to colored fence insulators"
brought hundreds of hits including university studies.
All of these reference this in electric fence use however in my mind it is
certainly possible a Beverage could have considerable voltage on it due to a
close transmitting antenna.
   My choice is an abundance of caution.
   Home depot lists a plethora of types of "Black electric fence insulators"
among many other listings including the Zareba name in the original post.
 Lee  K7TJR   OR

Subject: Topband: Materials for Beverages?

Gene,

I have used those and others in that series with only fair results.  They do
break more often than I'd like.  I replace about 10% of them per year, which is
acceptable given that they are cheap. But I have not found anything better.

FYI - I'd be happy to use black ones, but have never seen them.  My local farm
store carries the exact same bright yellow ones you listed.  A link to a
"preferred type" would be welcome.  I'm a bit of a birder and have not heard of
any hummingbird death issues.  References?

73,
Drew K3PA

- Topband Reflector