Re: Topband: Beverage directivity

To: Kenny Silverman <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage directivity
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 13:24:44 -0700
When I had beverages up (all 400 feet long), they have moderate
directivity on 160, but worked better on 80, and were outstanding on 40
meters, such as long path to Europe.  This would tend to confirm that
your 40 and 80 meter wires are killing the 160 meter directivity.  BTW,
it is entirely possible that what is doing the damage is the *feedlines*
for said antennas, not necessarily the antennas themselves.  Time for
K9YC common mode chokes?

---
Rick Karlquist
N6RK

On 2021-07-14 10:10, Kenny Silverman wrote:

> Most if not all replies were off line, and thanks to all who wrote in. 2 key
> ideas came out:
> 1) try and reduce the height of the leads at each end of the beverage. But
> they are not exceptionally high so I don't think that's it
> 2) the other is the beverages go under the 80m wire yagi and the 40m inverted
> V.  Those antennas are almost certainly killing the beverage patterns on
> 40/80 and the only solution is to detune the 40/80 antennas when not
> transmitting.   That may be an issue when I finally get around to porting the
> Rx  antennas to both of the SO2R radios. Luckily they work on 160 which is
> the real need. I will have to see about getting another 80m Rx antenna for
> domestic summer contesting
>
> A map of my antennas is now on the bottom of my www.qrz.com/dB/K2KW [1] page.
>
> Regards , Kenny K2KW
>
>> On Jul 12, 2021, at 11:16 AM, Kenny Silverman <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Last winter I installed 3 single-wire beverages:
>> 625' to EU
>> 625' to Carib/SA
>> 450' to west coast
>>
>> On 160 the directivity is great, but it's poor on 80/40. Any thoughts on
>> why?  I don't have CMC's on them, could that be the issue?
>>
>> Regards , Kenny K2KW

Links:
------
[1] http://www.qrz.com/dB/K2KW