Re: Topband: s meter

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: s meter
From: <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 13:27:16 -0500
I usually set my receiver gain/attenuation to get the S Meter noise floor on
160M to equal roughly S= 1.  There are times that I can be listening on my
transmit antenna (2 el vert array) with no preamp and no attenuation and get
that result (very quiet in the winter on CW).  There are other times that
even on the beverages - I have to drop in some attenuation to get there (SSB
in the summer).

I find this technique offers excellent receiving capability and minimizes
operator fatigue.

The S Meter reading is meaningless across all of those variances.

73

Ed  N1UR