Re: Topband: Beverages and Noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages and Noise
From: <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 10:36:23 -0500
I have very little noise here and lots of beverages.  Because of the low
noise floor, I can pick up a couple of solar arrays on properties about
2,000 feet away.  The beverage - very efficiently - hears that noise when it
is pointed at it.  In fact, one of them is in the direction of EU and I
sometimes use my 30deg bev instead of my 60 deg bev to hear a very weak
signal on a very quiet band because that interference IS the noise floor.

Conclusion from here?  Bevs won't help you kill local hash unless its just
part of the radiation pattern and in fact could make it louder if the
beverage is pointed at the offender.

I have ZERO VDSL hash here that I can detect as an FYI.  And my noise floor
is typically S0 to S1 on topband.

Ed  N1UR