Topband: Need Ideas For "Fusing" Beverages From Falling Trees

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Need Ideas For "Fusing" Beverages From Falling Trees
From: Roger Parsons via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 16:14:57 +0000 (UTC)
I have had good success (mostly) following W8JI's recommendations in a similar
situtation with over 30000 ft of Beverages in very rough woodland:

Use electric fence insulators nailed to trees, but allow the wire to pass
freely through them;
Fix only at the extremes of the antenna;
Use a very strong wire - this is where I diverge from Tom because I find that
WD1A is perfect for Beverages - but not bidirectional ones. Electric fence wire
is probably OK too - and that is W8JI's recommendation.

At the end points I use an egg insulator and a length of thin Dacron rope.
WD1A has a major advantage for testing purposes - I make each wire off
separately to a single connection point, and this  allows resistance
measurements to be made from either end of the run to confirm its continuity.

This arrangement allows the wire to withstand several large trees falling along
its length (1000 ft) - and the antennas keep working.

73 Roger
VE3ZI