Re: Topband: Need Ideas For "Fusing" Beverages From Falling Trees

To: Randy <w9zr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Need Ideas For "Fusing" Beverages From Falling Trees
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 10:21:06 -0500
Hi Randy,
My 720ft beverages (also made of WD1a strung between ceramic
insulstors) have short lengths (12 inches or so) of 26 AWG wire that
act as fuses. Each end of the wire is stapled to the 4 x 4 post at the
vertex of the beverages. This fuse wire is recommended by DX
Engineerimg to protect the front end of receivers from induced
currents caused by nearby lightning strikes. It does not provide
protection from falling branches or, here in New Mexico, from falling
cacti or wandering bobcats.

However, to me, a mechanical fuse link seems reasonable. As I recall,
WD1a is a twisted pair of wires with a rated breaking strength greater
than 200 lbs. A  short conveniently placed segment of just one of the
conductors would have half the breaking strength, and would be the
likely breaking point if a tree or large branch fell on the antenna.
73,
Jim w8zr
Sent from my iPhone