Re: Topband: Low Dipoles

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low Dipoles
From: Fred Moeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:02:18 -0500
Billy,

I was a little off on my guesstimate the K9AY loop center is 138' from the center of my inverted L.
It is however about 40' from my north Beverage.
When testing my K9AY I can see many instances where I can tune in one station switch directions and tune in a completely different MW station.
I don't see this much when talking about amateur stations.

I mostly see about 3 to 6 s-units switching away from a station.
But sometimes it is much greater...I'm sure this has something to do with the angle of the signal received.
It is almost never better then my north 300' Beverage.

I used the loop in one of the RTTY contests this year on 40m and it made a world of difference in receive from Eu stations...this day anyway.. This morning on 40m it was not very good on the Australian stations and the West short Beverage was better. Beverage output is stronger then the loop output so maybe a preamp would level the field??

As has been said it's good to have several antennas to switch between.

I did one north Beverage 580' this summer but it was bent.
I just started to use/test it and something chewed up the RG-6 I replaced it twice then gave up.(photos below) There's some sort of coax eating monster that lives in the woods behind my house.

I didn't have much time using this bent Beverage but it didn't look to good ...to much of a bend I think.
https://www.riverbendphotos.com/UnlistedGalleries/Web-Photos/n-mMvp3/i-8CDRqq7/A
https://www.riverbendphotos.com/UnlistedGalleries/Web-Photos/n-mMvp3/i-bvKTBWQ/A

I'm not that surprised that Rodger's Dipole does so well.
I'm more surprised when I hear that some stations are receiving on the inverted L. Here in my location it's very noisy listening on my inv L is a waste of time.

I can tell when one neighbor is on his treadmill and when the other is doing the laundry...Crazy.. My XYL will poke her head in the radio room and say "I'm going out to see the kids I'll be back later" then heads to the laundry room and turns on the our Washer...

To me any rx antenna is worth a try...maybe any antenna is worth a try??

73
Fred KB4QZH