Re: Topband: Low Dipoles

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low Dipoles
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 07:54:39 -0700
I have no separate RX antennas here. Still, I believe I have parity between TX and RX performance, at least at my 500W power level.

Generally speaking, I think I have a reasonably quiet location and despite having two acres, the siting of my house, an existing tower, the TX vertical and neighbor's homes (noise sources) I'm left with few to no locations for an RX antenna.  Maybe something like a K9AY but that's about it.

Now suppose I install a K9AY with its relatively broad frontal lobe.  From my location in the far southwest of the US, the major DX center, EU, is a path over the continental land mass of the US. With good nighttime propagation atmospheric noise in that direction is propagated as well as signal and a "low-noise" antenna offers no improvement, the SNR is set by the path.  The back of such antenna is looking at the day lit Pacific Ocean.

At my sunrise, for the most part I'm looking west to NW for DX.  Noise and QRM from the east is attenuated by sunshine and I don't need directivity.

So that's my case, again at my power level and location.  My good friend Larry, N7DD, might argue with me but he runs a lot more power than I and has room for much more directive RX antennas.  As the realtors say, location, location, location.

Wes  N7WS