Re: Topband: Good Conditions, Little Activity

To: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Good Conditions, Little Activity
From: "Chortek, Robert L." <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 16:14:31 +0000
Also Gentlemen,

These modes are NOT mutually exclusive.

During the Fall/Winter/Spring I spend a lot of time on 160 and 80.  My station
is located in the City of San Jose on a 1/4 acre lot.  Much local noise so
while my signal is pretty decent I don’t hear very well.

I tune the band looking for stations I can hear above the local noise and then
I call CQ.  I work the stations I can hear.  Back and forth - tune - CQ - time.

Then I run off to FT8 to see if there is any action there.  Back and forth.

I’m having a great time (while being “hard of hearing” can be very frustrating
(and sometimes depressing) listening to the Big Boys works stations I can’t
hear :-))

Both modes work for me.  I much prefer CW but I’ll take what I can get!

YMMV!

Bob/AA6VB
Robert L. Chortek