Re: Topband: NVIS Antenna

To: Carl Luetzelschwab <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>, topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: NVIS Antenna
From: Brian Campbell <ve3mgy@hotmail.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:18:11 +0000
Back in 2017 I put up a 160M Inverted V with the apex at about 35' and the ends
at 8' with the only goal being to try inband SO2R on 160M. My reasoning was the
V "should" be able to work stations out to ~500Km ( 300 Miles ) and more
importantly hold my run QRG while I went up the band to S&P for Mults with the
second radio and my "real" antenna ( Inverted L with 105' vertical and with
>20,000' of radials ).

To my amazement I was getting RBN hits from coast to coast in NA as well as the
northern part of SA. The reports were on average about 10db - 15db lower than
my TX vertical "but" I was still being heard. So in the 2018 and 2019 CQ160 CW
and ARRL 160 contests I was SO2R and both years I was called by stations from
as close as 100 km to as far as the West coast of NA ( ~3,500 km ), and as far
south as the  Southern Caribbean ( also ~3,500 km ) on the low Inverted V. So
not only did it hold my QRG but it worked a lot better than I had thought it
would beforehand.

Then on 2018-03-27 at 11:10z ( SR -4 min ) I even worked VK3HJ ( thanks Luke )
16,116 km away with it as well so as Carl says "it's better than no antenna".
Also that QSO was most likely ducting propagation as it only happened after I
had lost all of Luke's signal on my vertical and then switched over to the V
where he was Q5 and ~S3.

All the above was done with 100 watts so if you ( or I ) had run legal limit
power the results would have been even better.

FYI I am no longer doing inband SO2R on 160 ( or any other band ) after having
too many close calls with frying a front end. So caveat emptor if you try it.

73,
Brian
VE3MGY