Re: Topband: NVIS Antenna

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: NVIS Antenna
From: Carl Luetzelschwab <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 15:47:02 -0400
For those who are antenna challenged, don't sell a 160m inverted-vee at low
height too short.

My 160m antenna at the moment is an inverted-vee at an apex of 45 feet.
Additionally, the last third of each end is at 90 degrees to the main
portion and horizontal at only 7 feet or so off the ground. It's what fits
on the property.

In the CQ 160m CW contest in January 2017. I came away with 44 states
(missed ME, ID, NE and AK), 7 Canadian provinces (VE9, VY2, VE2, VE3, VE5,
VE6 and VE7) and 17 DXCC entities (mostly Caribbean, Central America,
Mexico and South America, with a few Europeans, a North African and a KH6
in the mix). I was seldom #1 in a pile-up, but eventually I usually got
through with 800 Watts to the inv-vee.

It's better than no antenna.

Carl K9LA