Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 20:25:16 -0700
On 3/12/2020 7:44 PM, Dave Cuthbert wrote:
Feel free to review my method/math and make corrections as needed.

Didn't review your math, but the more important question is, "how old is your noise data?" In my experience trying to work EU on Topband now as compared to c.a. 2007-8 is vastly more difficult thanks to higher noise levels on both ends. Back then I could work EU on CW; now, with better antennas, I need the 10 dB advantage of FT8. In the past six seasons I've heard six EU/U.K. stations on CW, two were able to hear me. And those were all during one of this season's contest.

Bottom line -- if your noise data is ten years old, I'd add 10 dB to it; if it's older, probably more.

73, Jim K9YC