Re: Topband: Nasty QRM From ??

To: Dick Bingham <dick.bingham@gmail.com>, Topband@contesting.com, "k8bhz@alphacomm.net" <k8bhz@alphacomm.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Nasty QRM From ??
From: "Kim Herron" <kim.herron@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 13:04:05 -0500
You need to kill the main breaker, Dick, and walk over to
the power panel with a 6 transistor radio and if you have
HASH, then you need to call the power company and tell
them to get their piece of junk off the house.  I had the
same issue.  I think that most of us here have.  It's a
pretty well documented issue.

On 24 Jan 2020 at 12:20, k8bhz@alphacomm.net wrote:

> Just a thought, does your house have the new "intelligent" power
> metering on the powerline? This would still be on, even if your
> breakers
> were off. Or, maybe the same type of monitoring on natural gas or
> municipal water supplies. Sure sounds like a switching power
> supply....
>
> Brian  K8BHZ
>
> On 1/24/2020 1:59 AM, Dick Bingham wrote:
> > Greetings All
> >
> > Here are my basic conditions:
> > - KiwiSDR (~DC-to-30MHz) or
> > - Apache-Labs 7000dle
> > - Dell laptop computer
> > - Both on battery power
> >
> > I have cleaned up my system using chokes and filtering to the
> point
> > there are virtually no CM-signals entering the receiver when the
> feedline
> > at the antenna is disconnected and re-connected to a 50-ohm
> load.
> >
> > When the antenna is reconnected I see desired signals PLUS an
> > unwanted comb-line with signals every ~98.4KHz (e.g. comb-lines
> span
> > 2573.49KHz to 4355.38KHz resulting in 98.438KHz line spacings.)
> >
> > These signals are frequency stable and not drifty. Shutting down
> the
> > house-mains with the receiver battery powered does not kill the
> QRM.
> >
> > SO, it looks like something somewhere is generating this junk that
> runs from
> > the BC-band to >20MHz.
> >
> > Have any of you encountered similar ~98.xxxKHz spurious signals
> ?
> >
> > 73  Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj
> > _________________
> > Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband