Re: Topband: Wednesday 160m DX CW Activity Night

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Wednesday 160m DX CW Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 17:42:14 +0000
I seem to have missed you last night, Roger. I was QRV, but took time out to work on an old boat anchor receiver. It has a very obtuse problem and it took awhile to figure out. I was on early, around 0000 UT and then later on the two hours before your sun rise. All signals were down from what I would call "good". Still there were stations to work.  I worked a few Gs, SM, F, and others.  Early in the evening there were a few UA stations on and they were calling KK1CWO on Cape Cod.   The signals were generally weak last night. QSB would take some stations down into the noise.  Stations that might go over S9 on a good night, were running S6 or S7 at best. The good news was that I found a pesky problem in the receiver. It was a bad silver mica capacitor in one of the rf coil sections.

Dave K1WHS