Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials

To: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 13:00:01 -0400
Hi Jerry,

65% is in the wheelhouse for DOG VF's. 400 to 600 ohms seems high. In the
12 county area around Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, we measured 120 - 200
ohms resonant R.

The variation you experienced, and also high R readings could be explained
by a few nicks in the wire insulation toward the ends, which could have
been there to start with, or perhaps you experienced critter nibble, or
perhaps the ends were inadequately insulated from ground contact or the
elements.

DOG conductor in contact with ground moisture near the ends could
completely skewer results. That's an electrical 1/4 wave between center and
either end of the DOG. Inadvertently grounding an end will be transformed
around the surge impedance of the wire to a quite higher impedance at
center. An inadvertent partial grounding near the ends along with variation
in ground surface moisture would explain erratic observations of high R and
no resonance.

73  & Good Luck,
Guy K2AV