Re: Topband: Lack of NA Activity on CW

To: "Chortek, Robert L." <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>, "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lack of NA Activity on CW
From: <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 17:23:59 -0500
Hello Topbanders. . .

In my opinion the lack of activity centers on a few key issues:

1. There is no denying FT8 has siphoned off a lot of CW activity, easily proven by a quick tune of the band any night of the week.

2. Summertime QRN in the northern hemisphere further diminishes CW (and SSB) activity. Not many are willing to endure constant S9 or +20/9 static crashes in the headphones (major kudos to our stalwart friends in the southern hemisphere that regularly do). Having great RX antennas is little consolation when QRN from weather systems still knocks your phones off.

3. Many of the stations with larger, more robust antenna systems are either off the air during summer months or have reduced capability due to lightning issues or are off the air due to crop/land use issues. These are the same stations (be it NA, EU, Asian) that are otherwise QRV, some calling CQ nightly during fall and winter months which give opportunities for the smaller DX stations to respond which, in itself, helps create further activity. The absence of these larger stations is a factor.

4. The overall reduction in amateur HF activity is definitely a factor. When I got my novice license in the summer of 1963 I operated 40 CW. The band was packed, day and night. The band was so crowded I frequently could find no open spot to call CQ with my DX-35 and box of crystals (I still have the DX-35).

5. I don't think age is a particular factor. A lot of new people have gotten on 160m in the past decade or so. It seems we have many more people QRV 160 then we did 30 or 40 years ago.

I will continue to be QRV on CW, the mode that offers me the excitement of direct, uninhibited, real-time, visceral interaction with the other station.

Respectfully with 73 to all. . . Dave, W0FLS

-----Original Message----- From: Chortek, Robert L.