Topband: Rev 2 160 Antenna farm

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Rev 2 160 Antenna farm
From: Mark Pride via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 23:33:50 +0000 (UTC)
Coming to the experts....
Am considering moving to what I call Rev. 2 of the present antenna system for
160 M
Currently using a Comtek ACB-4 for my 160 M 4 SQ made from inverted L elements
(roughly 70 ft vertical, 70 ft. sloping back to earth about a 45 degree angle).
 Have about 40 ground mounted radials that vary from 1/4 to 1/8 wave lengths.
Works fair but want to improve further if possible.
Rev. 2 plan

Considering using 4 to 8 elevated radials on each element of a Comtek 4 Square
for 160. (pick up these radials off the ground, and leave the rest as is)  The
"old" ground plane would be disconnected from the elevated radials.

Appreciate getting any suggestions relative to current chokes at each feed
point, using gull wing type radials (45 degree take off angle to 10 ft above
ground from the base); tuning network at each feed point.

I know all this may mean using (16)  2.4 inch OD ferrites to build the
necessary feed point chokes and may need to do something with 1/4 wave 75 ohm
feed cables to accommodate these chokes.

Appreciate all suggestions and will keep the crew advised.  Thanks!
Regards,

 Mark, K1RX

www.sensor-techint.com

 Mobile: 603-231-8965