Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question

To: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>, Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question
From: Arthur Delibert <radio75a3@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 23:15:58 +0000
You may also want to check out the SAL-12, -20 or -30 antennas from Array
Solutions.  My yard is pretty small, but I was able to put up a SAL-12, and I
love it.  (I do mostly 49-, 60- and 90-meter SWBC DX.)  I can switch the
antenna to any one of 8 different directions, and I'm often surprised to find
that the DX is coming from a direction different from what I would expect.
Often there's a very pronounced peak in the signal when the antenna is pointed
in the right direction, and I really would not have had any copy if I couldn't
point in that direction.

The SAL-12 isn't especially good on 160, but is good from 3 MHz and higher.
The SAL-20 and -30 are reportedly very good on 160.  If I recall right, the
SAL-20 is directional up to 20 meters; the SAL-30 is good up to 40 meters.
Check the Array Solutions website to confirm.

These aren't as cheap as putting up your own pennant, but above 3 MHz, the
SAL-12 aimed NE almost always outperforms my pennant pointed in the same
direction.

Regards,
Art Delibert, KB3FJO