Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question

To: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>, Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question
From: Jeff Woods via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:31:18 +0000 (UTC)
 Wes,
A sure sign that your RX antennas are good enough is when DX stations that are
Q5 copy repeatedly CQ in your face.

What Mike's saying is true; trying to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear
that is a TX vertical is a losing game.  Waller Flags, K9AYs, EWEs, etc. are
all cheap and can easily be constructed to fit a 1.7 acre lot.  A short
beverage may even feasible in that space, depending on the layout.
When you speak of "QRM from the east," are you talking about being unable to
overpower it on TX so the DX can hear you (my problem here), or are you
speaking of RX QRM?  On RX at your QTH, it doesn't appear that the proverbial
East Coast Wall should affect you much.  The azimuth to Europe from Tucson is
~30 degrees.  That GC path runs across the upper Midwest and Ontario.   Even a
mediocre K9AY will provide adequate attenuation to signals from the US east
coast.

My NW RX antenna is centered at 42 degrees.  Here in Iowa, it hears much better
to Europe than to Boston or New York.  Indeed, it's nearly useless in the ARRL
160 contest because of that pattern unless I'm in Province hunting mode.
-Jeff (W0ODS)

    On Saturday, December 22, 2018, 6:09:23 PM CST, Mike Waters