Re: Topband: FT8 - How it really works

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - How it really works
From: ly2ij@qrz.lt
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 16:29:57 +0200
HI,

Thanks for sharing experience!

Question to FT8 and "noise" relations - In usual case everything in
passband is noise except signal of interest.

So with only one FT8 signal and white noise in passband S/N can be
increased narrowing passband till it matches signal width. EME guys know
that JT65 -16 dB signals are audible.

But if there are many other FT8 signals (which are "noise" since are out
of interest for me) then energy from all these 59++ signals are
integrated as noise and my 57 signal became "very deep in the noise".

If to narrow bandwidth in this case we get rid of QRMing 59++ signals
(and proportional part of band white noise) - they are not integrated
and our signal gets "above noise".

Is this right or there is some magic excluding other FT8 signals from
S/N calculations? Still very doubt in FT8 ability to be decoded 10dB
below CW. -3 dB at best.

73

Arunas LY2IJ