Re: Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 10:08:36 -0500
>>"There have been no uploads for OK1YQ therefore it all has to be cards. 73

Clive GM3POI"

Thanks Clive.  I was under the mistaken impression that ARRL had closed

the previous loopholes in their paper card process but that is clearly not

the case.  This (paper cheating on 160 cards) has been going on since at

least the late 1980s, so I thought the process would have been corrected

by now.  Something as simple as "IF 160 total is in the Top X, crosscheck

with someone knowledgeable about 160" (even a past or current ARRL President

would do...LOL).  I don't know what the qualifications are for "160 certified"

log checkers but this may need to be reviewed.

I was also not intending to cast any aspersions about the integrity of

LOTW, but as we've seen in the news the past few years, ANYTHING connected

to the Internet is subject to hacks.  I'm sure ARRL will be investigating

everything in their validation process.  They are our last and best hope

for maintaining the integrity of DXCC (notwithstanding remote country

cheating, which is another topic).

73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S  I know of at least 6 folks who have been disqualified for 160 cheating,

so yes, ARRL does care about this.