Re: Topband: Use shunt fed tower

To: <kolson@rcn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Use shunt fed tower
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 12:05:49 -0400
I think the issue is not whether a vertical needs radials or not.
A vertical monopole needs a ground system or a counterpoise. The ground system can be the actual ground or radials, or both, or even the shield of the coax (and your station at the end of it). If you have a good ground and it is connected via a low impedance path, you may not need any radials. (I don't use any at C6AGU, but the antenna stands in salt-water.) But if your ground is poor, you do need radials, or some other effective counterpoise. Every location is different and you should plan accordingly. It is very simple to determine whether your ground system is adequate. Model and measure your antenna. If the model indicates a feed point impedance of 25 Ohms and you measure 50 Ohms, the extra 25 Ohms is probably contributed by the (poor) ground system. (Of course it could be a poor model too.)
73,
George,
AA7JV

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 10:11:06 -0400 (EDT)