Re: Topband: Air Wound Coil

To: MR TREVOR DUNNE <ei2glb@eircom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air Wound Coil
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 19:41:11 -0700 (PDT)
Trevor,

I have found that winding a coil by hand may not look too hot but for a 160
Meter Inv-L they are easy to do. I use my Hytower with it's 65' radials as the
counter poise and run a 12 Gauge multi-strain house wire from Lowes over a big
Oak tree. Goes up and over the top and almost starts to come down on the far
side. Ended up with needing about 123-121 feet of wire. Switches between about
1840Khz up to 1925Khz or so thanks to the switch. And about 60 Khz bandwidth.
You can see where I ended up years later with an old commercial broadcast 56uH
coil tapped thru a multi-tap switch on my qrz.com/ki7m page. Also added a Balun
Design 1:1  just before going into the coil. The inv-L seems to get out real
good both stateside and for DX. Hearing them is the problem I am still trying
to work out. Too many projects, to little energy here.

Terry
KI7M