Re: Topband: Laying ground radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Laying ground radials
From: Brian Pease <bpease2@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 20:23:59 -0400
when I buried all of the cables for my tower 100m from the shack, a neighbor used his small tractor to pull an ancient small modified plow.  The left side of the blade was removed, so it cut a small furrow and flipped the lawn and field sod to just one side.  This took 10-15 minutes.  I stood on the plow and held it upright.  Then I dropped the cables onto the hole and flipped the sod back over it with my foot. This would still be a lot of work for a radial field.  A device to slit the ground and bury the wire ij one step is shown in ON4UN's Low Band DXing book. I used cheap insulated army field phone wire for radials in the unused field that I mowed first.   Insulation makes zero difference.  Nec4.2 agrees. Too bad the livestock are there.  In one season here the weeds & grass grew up and were matted down by snow & rain so you would never know I had laid 137 radials on the surface!