Re: Topband: 160M Balun

To: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Balun
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 08:52:26 -0700
I measured the Comtek bead balun on 160m and found there is low choking resistance.

I use the K9YC design with good results, whether it will make any difference in your antenna system is something you will need to try. With more than 5x the choking resistance with the K9YC 7T on 5 #31core you may see a reduction in noise and feedline involvement. I use RG400 or RG142 TFE coax which can easily handle QRO on 160m and fits in a 4 x 4 x 4 PVC junction box. I haven't made any of the bifilar THHN designs.

Grant KZ1W