Topband: NCC-1 / NCC-2

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: NCC-1 / NCC-2
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 00:11:05 -0500
Folks,

I'm somewhat on the fence regarding
resolution to RFI I have thanks to AMTRAK
and some RFI coming to the south of me.

I live at the end of a dead end. There is
a salt marsh behind me & 1 mile + to the
next house. AMTRAK is 100' to the north of
me & it's one mile + from that to the next
house. There is one house to the east of
me & another mile + to the next house. To
the south there are houses & RFI.

AMTRAK's arcing kills me at Gray line
thanks to the commuter rush at the same
time. I have too much RFI to the south of
me and there's noise from the cable lines
that I can't get them to fix.

Here's what it is like most every Gray
line when it's cold or damp in the
fall/winter. This was 3C1L on TB and you
can barely see him popping in two times in
the below photo, only when the arcing
stops for a few seconds. In those rare
times he was Q5 but only for a few seconds
and I then couldn't hear him. I had turned
all lights off hoping that might help (it
didn't)

Photos of my SVGA screen with the P3:

http://doctorgary.net/rfi-a.jpg

About an hour later it dried out a bit and
the commuter trains had mostly finished so
the RFI was less and luckily he was still
working the pileup & his signal was clear.
Now that I could hear him Q5, I proceeded
to call him and eventually did make the Q.
On the nights the interference lasts, I
miss most everything that is due to Gray
line propagation. This was what it was
like when the arcing lightened up.

http://doctorgary.net/rfi-b.jpg

This is what I have to deal with every
night & with every SR & SS, kills me in
the 160M contests too.

I use a HI-Z 8 and a triangular and while
they are stellar and a must have for me,
they don't remove this interference even
though they have great nulling abilities.
I've been leaning towards one of the NCC
units, either the NCC-1 or the NCC-2. It
looks like one of the big selling features
of the NCC-2 is the inclusion of the RTR-1
internally which is a receive antenna
interface & which I don't need with either
the K3s or my backup K3.

Other than this feature, is there any real
difference between the function or quality
between the NCC-1 vs NCC-2? They've raised
the price of the NCC-2 to where I'm not
likely to buy it and will wait till one
comes up for sale in the used market. If
the NCC-1 is just as good, then I'll go
that route & get a NOS or good used one.

Thoughts on whether the NCC-2 is any real
benefit to me VS the NCC-1?

73,

Gary
KA1J