Re: Topband: Low band antenna project questions

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low band antenna project questions
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 13:46:01 -0500
Gary,

Though our conditions are different, I also have a top height of
somewhere around 50-60'. I don't know exactly, I run a sloper over
the top of the tallest tree I can find from my radial plate. I'm at
the edge of a marsh and every hurricane takes down trees and I need
to get them up over what is left. The only tuner I have is in the k3
and I pretty much use that only to make the radio happy with the
input of the amplifier. Half my radials are on the marsh and the
other 1/2 are in the woods.

Unlike your situation, I have a lot of excessively long radials about
130' each. I also have a 350' run of coax to the remote switchbox. I
have the 129' long 160M sloper, an 80M Inv-L, 40M vert wire, 30M Vert
wire and a butternut in the middle of the radial plate that I use for
20 only. Right before the radial plate is the distal end of an
Ameritron RC5-8V coax switch.

I don't need any tuner to have a good match on all of the HF bands
with this:

160M = Sloper
80M = 80M vert
40M = 40M vert
30M = 30M vert
20M - Butternut
17M = 80M vert
15M = 40M vert
12M = 80M vert & 160 Sloper
10M = 160M Sloper

You've gotten some great advice on specifically what to do from
others, I am including this less specific info to try to demonstrate
how it's worth experimenting with the info you've been given and you
will surely find something that works well with your 50' height
limit.

73,

Gary
KA1J