Re: Topband: Low band antenna project questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low band antenna project questions
From: John Pescatore via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 14:05:39 -0500
Gary - I've had a 51' T up for 6 or 7 years now and it is a very good transmit
antenna on 160. It is resonant on 160, with about 16 radials out now, so don't
need a tuner there. I've tried it on other bands with a tuner in the shack, and
performance is horrible. On most bands, it heard/talked worse than a mutliband
vertical I had up for a while and is many dB below my 135' OCF dipole at the
same height on every band other than 160. I think I modeled it once using one
of the online programs and you can see a very spiky pattern.

Could have been so much loss in the coax that a base of the antenna tuner might
change things but I wouldn't want that to be my only HF antenna.

73 John K3TN