Re: Topband: Demo of the value of one dB

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Demo of the value of one dB
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 12:52:44 -0500

K1DG stated:
"A couple of years ago I did a quick analysis and discovered he was right!

The control case was N1UR, who operated the CQWW contest many years in the
low power category, then turned on an amplifier and raised his score about
75%, or about 6% per dB! Same op, same QTH, same antennas, just 12dB more
signal."

As the control case, I can add some color.

Its true, other than rewiring baluns for high power and replacing marginal
coax and connectors that could take 1.5kW, there was virtually no difference
between the 2013 - 2014 season and the 2014 - 2015 season except the
addition of a 1.5kW amp.  I did run 150W in the ARRL DX contests but only
100W in CQ WW.

The BIG difference is on 160 with power - a game changer.  On 80, its
helpful but much less of a game changer.  With the exception of the fringe
contacts like JA or PY on 75 SSB in CQ WW, then it's the difference big
time.  On 40M SSB, it's a game changer to hold a run frequency - which I
could not do for long with Low Power.  For 15 and 10M, its only a game
changer on the noise floor.  And the average speed getting in and out of big
piles.  It always amazed me though how many piles I could crack with low
power.

I have often played with 100W vs 200W on 160 (I have an FT1000MP Mk V).
There are MANY times that 200W makes the Q (sometimes with ease) and the
100W is barely a question mark.

For reference, the antenna farm here:
10M - 8el EU, 4 el south, 4 el turn
15M - 8 el EU, 3 el south, 6 el turn
20M - 4/4 EU and turn and 3 el south
40 - 3 el turn and 2 el south
80 - 2 el wire beam plus slopers
160 - 2 el vert phased array EU and omni positions

Ed  N1UR