Re: Topband: Demo of the value of one dB and the cost of sending too fas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Demo of the value of one dB and the cost of sending too fast
From: Bob Lawson <n6rw@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:23:16 -0700
I spent part of my engineering career designing satellite command FSK demodulators - including the deep space Pioneer Venus orbiter. To test the performance of them, we would mix the test signal with white noise. When you look at the FSK Bit-Error-Rate (BER) curve (bit errors versus signal to noise ratio in a bandwidth equal to the bit rate), you can see the BER improves by a factor of 10 to 1 for every dB in S/N ratio. In other words, for every dB improvement, you get one tenth the errors.

73 de Bob N6RW