Re: Topband: Demo of the value of one dB

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Demo of the value of one dB
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 13:44:43 -0800
On Fri,2/26/2016 9:49 AM, Doug Grant wrote:
Many years ago K1JX casually commented that contest scores improve 6%
per dB. I filed that away for future reference.

A couple of years ago I did a quick analysis and discovered he was right!

There's clearly a difference, but the magnitude of the difference probably depends on the contest. Quite a few years ago, N6ZFO, whose job in pharama development included lots of statistics, did an analysis for NCCC saying that 1 dB was good for 2.6% in ARRL Sweepstakes.

73, Jim K9YC