Re: Topband: VP8STI 160 Meter Path

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VP8STI 160 Meter Path
From: "lmlangenfeld@tds.net" <lmlangenfeld@tds.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:50:22 -0500 (EST)
I was pleasantly surprised to hear very strong and stable sigs from VP8STI late
Wednesday evening (0445 UT) here, genuine 569 (maybe a bit more on peaks)
--receiving only on my modest "lazy L" w/32 radials.  Hoped for even better
sigs at their SR, but things gradually slid after about 0500 UT, and they had
vanished by 0520. Shortly thereafter, I worked them fairly easily (they didn't
seem terribly busy) on 40m w/100W into a low wire. This was all rather
startling to me because I had been hearing quite a few strong AU sigs on 6m
only a couple of hours earlier.  That kind of disturbance usually draws the
curtains on the low bands for awhile up here in the north country. Not so this
time, which makes all the reports of unusual paths and hot spots all the more
interesting.

On a collateral note:  The K5P crew's timely antenna fix made for good sigs
here this morning.  I managed to get in their log during a nice peak at about
local SR w/100W and the aforementioned "lazy L."  Nice way to start the day.

73,

Mark -- WA9ETW