Re: Topband: VP8STI 160 Meter Path

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VP8STI 160 Meter Path
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:11:08 -0600
Last night we had storms so I didn't listen on 160 because I had already worked VP8STI on 160 the previous day, however Wednesday night/Thursday morning VP8STI propagation was not unlike the same thing that often happens here in Alabama. Up until about 0515Z (Jan 21) they were at ESP signal levels. The pile was pretty big and there were a bunch of guys working him. I decided to see who was hearing them and copied a bunch of calls out of the pile and looked them up. They were all north of me except for W4ZV and K4SV, who are a little NE of me. Then the pile died. I thought he went QRT. Then a few minutes later he popped up to 10 dB above my noise floor. Nice signal. I worked him at 0530Z and so did some of my friends in Alabama. It was time for the southern stations and the pile grew again with those stations. This was right at his sunrise. Shortly after that he was spotted on 80 SSB. He had a good signal there also. He heard me first call but thanks to the QRM plus his QSY up 5, it took a couple of tries to finish the Q.

Conditions like this seem to be common on the difficult ones. Guys up north hear the DX and the southern states hear nothing, but sometimes the table flips and we get the DX and guys up north can't hear them. Such is the joy and frustration of working 160.

Receiving antennas are a multielement EWE array and BOGs. Path was best to the SE. Only have 6 directions for receiving antennas, NE, E, SE, SW, W, NW.

Jerry, K4SAV