Re: Topband: NCC-1 Phaser

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: NCC-1 Phaser
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 02:20:49 -0400
What I use here is relatively simple in hooking up the NCC-1 Phaser. The output on the unit, of courses, goes to the radio and in my case since Icom w/o and external antenna port is use a DXE RTR-1A to provide the the RX/TX switching. (This also allows be to choose the TX antenna for RX with just a front panel switch.) Now for the NCC-1 I feed ....the Port "B" from my 12 position passive video switcher and put in port "A" the best and most favorable antenna for the occasion. (My 900 foot West Beverage was used for K5P and my SE 600 foot Beverage was used for VP8STI on all bands from 160-30 Mhz) This way my whole Beverage bank could be chosen as either the IX null antenna of the phased complimentary antenna depending on the circumstances. With the "A" and "B" attenuation and the balance control on the front of the NCC-1 I can provide the unit with the equal levels. I normally first use the phase control to null and then switch the phase control for a peak. Just this evening on 40 meters with the DQRM on VP8STI (7150) coming from the mainland I could make it disappear and all that was left was Q5 copy on this very rare DX-Pedition. Even on 3790 I was able to use both the SE and S Beverages to push VP8STI (Dave's K3LP) signal right out of the noise.

Normally when DX-Peditions or a new country are not the issue on 160 I run the Beverage bank straight through by turning off the power switch on the unit. If I want to change the "preferred" I use the push on type F connectors for the most favored antennas as this allows for a faster turn around. The unit also provides for RCA but since I used F connectors I prefer this. My 12 channel passive switcher is a Panasonic push button type which terminates all unused feed lines in 75 ohms I have used the Dynair as well but they have harder to push round old school buttons and the Panasonic requires less pressure to actuate. I can also use the 12 positon selection to choose an antenna with the most QRN and then move to phase it down. What is really nice about the NCC-1 is the size of the phasing knob and the ease of the operation. That was never the case with my MFJ-1026.

I think now that I have found a way to make the performance on many Beverages even better on the low bands.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ