Re: Topband: directional receive and contests

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: directional receive and contests
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:51:47 -0500
I can't imagine doing a 160M contest WITHOUT dual receive.  With 580ft
two-wire Beverages at right angles, and a foot switch to reverse both of
them, I can easily hear in a 360 degree arc: listen 1-2 sec NW and SW, step
on switch, 1-2 sec NE and SE, call CQ, repeat.  When it's pre-dawn, I
generally only listen NW, SW.

580ft Beverages might give up a bit of ultimate S/N over longer Beverages
but I find them the perfect length to cover 360 degrees like this and also
hear just enough in the reverse direction for me to know there's a caller.

73,
Barry N1EU