Re: Topband: directional receive and contests

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: directional receive and contests
From: Eric NO3M <no3m@no3m.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:18:38 -0500
What I have found to work well is taking advantage of a radio with dual receivers, not necessarily "locked", ie. diversity as in the K3, but at least on the same frequency. The main RX is fixed on the "hot" direction at the moment, whether that be "NE" during EU peak hours or "W" after EU sunrise. The sub-RX is connected to either my beverage "group" or the circular array (8-el BSEF). In either case, the switching controller I use (homebrew) scans through directions (selectable, usually skip "N" and the direction already on the main RX), with about a 1/2 - 3/4 sec delay between switching, pausing during transmit. I have seen comments in the past on here that scanning was never found to be effective, but I gather much of this probably had to do with the lack of flexibility in the switching / controlling system used (ie. scan delays not adjustable, antennas added/removed from scan sequence on the fly, etc).

Having a diversity capable rig is helpful if the station is weak, a single button press on my switching controller ("Track" button) will switch the opposite receiver selection to an available RX antenna in the same direction as the one being requested to be tracked, work him, then click the "Track" button again on my controller and the original opposite receive antenna selection is restored.

73 Eric NO3M